Friday, October 19, 2012

TA: It's always worth it

I know the past couple of weeks I have spent so time doing a little student bashing and talking about many of the frustrating features of being a teacher.  So here I'm going to put forth some examples of students that DID care and DID really freakin' give me everything they had.  The thing to remember is, no matter how many students you have swear at you or walk out, if you have EVEN ONE that comes out a better person, that you were a successful teacher.

  1. So even when a student is not necessarily successful with his/her actual grades, it is often clear when a student putting forth a concerted effort to change their path.  Student A (again, different than all the other student A's from past weeks) was a mess from the start.  He sat at the trouble lab table and after 3 quizzes was looking pretty desolate.  However, after the third quiz he actually came into my office to talk to me about it (a miracle in itself).  He wanted to go over the quiz and discuss how he could change his study habits to improve his grade and ultimately not fail the exams or class.  Not only did he come in to my office every week to study but moved tables, sitting with a group of final year nursing majors (a good find in an anatomy course-I was pretty fond of them myself).  He still did fairly poorly in the class, which I largely akin to poor test taking skills, not learning problems.  However, he was teetering on the edge of the D/C range so I was able to bump him up due to clear effort and participation. He cared and put the effort in to make a difference.  Those situations always make me care so much more AND feel good about what I do.(ps does anyone else think this button looks less than adorable and innocent?!)
  2. Student B begins to put a counter balance on all the stupid excuses I've ever gotten.  I received it via e-mail initially.  It came in during class, but of course I didn't get it until directly afterward.  It had been particularly snowy this year, seemed every week for a while had the University shut down for at least part of one day.  The e-mail was not actually from a student, but from a mechanic.  Apparently, the student had slid on the ice and another car plowed right into her.  She was fine but was so worried about missing class she asked the towing company that retrieved her totaled car to contact me.  Phone, address, and manager.  Completely legitimate.  For something like this I would have probably not pushed too hard even without the e-mail but in addition when she sat in the next day's class she brought me the DAMAGE ESTIMATE.  The problem with situations like these is because she went so far beyond the call of duty, I have A LOT of trouble dealing with most other excuses! 
  3. For my final piece of evidence I present to you the following image I made from an actual e-mail.  I received this e-mail after my first semester of teaching Anatomy and Physiology (second semester teaching ever).  It was a particularly arduous class to teach, most of the students were a little younger and it was partially filled with athletes that were "just wasting time until drafted."  I was exhausted and a little disheartened (this is the same class I had the plagiarism issues I referred to before).  A wonderful student sent this to me the last week of the semester (technically finals week but labs don't have finals).  Enjoy this and hopefully it lifts your day like it always lifts mine. 
Next week I've got some unusual students that give me a head tilt just thinking about! Got some happy stories? Please share! Every TA has a bad day, class, or even semester! Share the love!


"When I was younger I thought success was something different. I thought, " When I grow up, I want to be famous. I want to be a star. I want to be in movies. When I grow up I want to see the world, drive nice cars. I want to have groupies." But my idea of success is different today. For me, the most important thing in your life is to live your life with integrity and not to give into peer pressure, to try to be something that you're not. To live your life as an honest and compassionate person. To contribute in some way." Ellen DeGeneres

No comments:

Post a Comment